Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Challenge II, Role Call and Bets

Combatants:
MHG
Dr. Chako
Blaargh!
BWoP
Kat
Aposec72
High on Poker
Shawn
Heffmike

(drop a comment if you are interested and I'll update this list)

The holidays and two week break have done a number on my poker challenge organizational skills, and I apologize for dropping the ball on this here challenge. That said, we can rush to start on Jan. 1, 2010 still, or we can push the start date back a week to drum up anticipation and business. Cast your vote in the comments--I originally was leaning towards waiting, but a shotgun wedding-style start to the second bankroll challenge sounds kind of sexy.

My rough plans for the challenge are to end on March 1, 2010. Two months seems like enough time to get plenty of poker in, but not too long that people get bored with the challenge.

Bets:

1) Most gained as a % of bankroll from beginning to end of challenge
MHG: $2
Blaargh!: $10
Dr. Chako: $10
Kat: $5
Aposec72: $5
High on Poker: $10
Shawn: $5
Heffmike: $10

2) Largest score
MHG: $2
Blaargh!: $5
BWoP: $5
Dr. Chako: $5
Kat: $5
Aposec72: $2
High on Poker: $5
Shawn: $5
Heffmike: $10

3) Slayer of Donkeys (smallest fraction: finish place / # of entrants)
MHG: $3
Blaargh!: $5
BWoP: $5
Dr. Chako: $5
Kat: $5
Aposec72: $5
High on Poker: $10
Heffmike: $10

4) Funniest post (non-monetary)
MHG: A poem ode to the victor
Blaargh!: dirty limerick
Dr. Chako: poetry
Kat: haiku/poem

5) Betting the horses (picking the victor of bets 1-3, non-monetary)
MHG: A painting of the victor
Blaargh!: painting
Dr. Chako: Some form of original art. I may write and record a song.
Kat: crafty/pokery goodness

6) Bad Beat of the Challenge (worst bad beat of the challenge, non-monetary)
MHG: A box of Kleenex
Blaargh!: The world's smallest violin
Dr. Chako: The world's 2nd smallest violin. Apparently the smallest was already taken.

7) Most hands played during the challenge
Blaargh!: $5
MHG: $2
Aposec72: $3

8) Best overall winrate over 10k hands
Blaargh!: $5
MHG: $2

(leave other betting ideas in the comments and I'll add them)

Betting is going to be a little different this year for two reasons. First, I'd like to give more people the opportunity to bet at levels they are comfortable with (mostly myself). Second, I'd like to give some importance to places other than first. I propose that as you leave a comment stating which bets you want in for, you also write down a dollar amount next to each bet that you are comfortable with to make the bet interesting for you. I've done so for myself on the first three bets, and then for the non-monetary bets I wrote down what I'm offering to the victor if I lose.

Here's an example of how I intend the betting to work:

3) Slayer of Donkeys
MHG: $3
Aposec72: $10
Blaargh!: $17.50
Dr. Chako: $20
Kat: $5
BWOPCK: $20

If we were to finish in order from top to bottom, I would get $3 from everyone. Aposec would get $7 from everyone except Kat, and he would take her last $2 (what a douche), Blaargh! would get $7.50 from Dr. Chako and BWOPCK, and Dr. Chako would take CK's last $2.50 and go buy an anti-energy drink. A simpler outcome would be if CK or Dr. Chako takes first, they just take everyone's money--pretty much like an all-in with six different people, if the person who had the biggest stack going in wins, she knocks everyone else out.

It sounds complicated, but I'll do the math and show who owes who what, after all the bets are settled once the challenge has completed.

Game on!

29 comments:

  1. BWOPCK= A lover of ultimate frisbee and micro-stakes online poker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BLAARGH!
    1. 10 bucks
    2. 5 bucks
    3. 5 bucks
    4. I ain't no poet, but I'll write ya a dirty limirick
    5. A painting I can do! Bring on the contestants!
    6. The worlds smallest violin.

    7. Anyone else grinding cash games? Most hands played during challenge... 5 bucks
    8. Best overall winrate over 10k hands... 5 bucks

    And yeah... MHG can tally... this sort of stuff makes my eyes bleed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. I don't really play online that much. Too much juicy action live. I might be interested in the tournament only type bets (e.g., #2 and #3).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put your money where your mouth is, crasian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in for $5 on any and all bets you can come up with.

    I think I still owe someone from the last time. Looking to correct that now.

    -DrC

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI - I just transferred $5 to blaargh86. I searched this site and all the comments, but I couldn't find an approved bet amount. I seem to remember it was $5, but if not please correct me.

    -DrC

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm pretty sure you were the big winner last challenge, dr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://summerbankrollchallenge.blogspot.com/2009/08/results.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks doc! Got the $$. The bets were here:
    http://summerbankrollchallenge.blogspot.com/2009/10/warm-up-heating-up.html
    and the live blog was here:
    http://summerbankrollchallenge.blogspot.com/2009/11/warmup-live-blog-blaargh.html
    I'm sure I'll be sending it right back to you.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. No word from you guys on when we should start, so I'm making the executive decision to keep the starting date open from Jan 1. to Jan 8. If you are in for the first bet (as of now... me, Blaargh!, Dr. Chako) you need to post a screenshot of your starting bankroll.

    In regards to the 7th and 8th bets we'll need to keep meticulous records. I've been keeping track of my ring games for the past month in Excel, keeping track of number of hands played, overall win/loss and notes. I'll keep that up and start anew when I post my starting bankroll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose I should have read the bets before I agreed to them. I have no idea how I'm going to track the number of hands I play, and I highly doubt I'll play 10K hands.

    Put me down for 1-4.
    1. $10
    2. $5
    3. $5
    4. Poetry
    5. Some form of original art. I may write and record a song.
    6. The world's 2nd smallest violin. Apparently the smallest was already taken.

    -DrC

    ReplyDelete
  12. There goes the pot sweetener for bets 7 and 8, dag gummit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. cannot believe I almost missed this.

    Count me in (if it's not too late)

    1. $5
    2. $5
    3. $5
    4. haiku/poem
    5. crafty/pokery goodness

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1, % gain: $5
    2, Largest Score: $2
    3, Donkey Slayer: $5
    7, # of hands, $3

    Even though my roll is miniscule, why not. I need my fix.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will add a sweetener to the prop bet. I will pay $5 to any participant who wins a Mookie (minimum 27 entrants) or has an online tournament cash of greater than $250. I will pay $15 to any participant who has an online tournament cash of greater than $500. Maximum payout of $25 per participant.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, way to spend TonyG's $$!

    We all know in my case it's a pretty safe bet :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm in, but this is hella complicated.

    % Won - $10
    Largest Score - $5
    Donkey Slayer - $5

    That's about it for me. I don't want to feel obliged to play a certain number of hands or keep track of profit rate. And I don't know how to address the non-monetary bets. So, this works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. HOP... send me your email address and I'll hook you up as a contributor so you can post a screenshot for your starting BR, and post any other nonsense that comes into your pretty little head:
    blaargh86 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Added you to the bet, Jordan, and I'll drop a comment on your blog as well to let you know. The % Won bet will need you to post your starting bankroll on or before this Friday 1/8/10. As for the largest score and Slayer of Donkey bet, you can post your individual tournament screenshots up until the end of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Er... you can choose to post your tournament scores or not... as long as you post them before the end of the challenge. To horde information or to not horde information, that is the question!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is it too late to get in on this? I can put up $5 on #1 and 2.

    For #2, does it have to be a tourney, or can it be one kick ass cash game session?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok, I want in on this.

    I'll track as of 1/8 and put a $10 spot on bets 1, 2 and 3.

    Just one site, though, right? I play on Stars and Tilt, so it's better to pick just one for the challenge, right?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shawn and Heff, you're in if you post a screenshot by 1/8. Email Blargh for access.

    Shawn, #2 bet is tournament only. Tourney scores benefit larger bankrolls, but if we added in cash games the benefit for larger rolls would be way too big.

    Heffmike, one site would be easier to track, but playing on two sites is OK with me, as long as you keep track for all the bets you're in for.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adding the extra side bet I posted today here as well:

    $50 for anyone that makes a Final Table in a MTT over 500 people. One payout per person.

    Oh, and I'm in for #3 bet for a $10 spot as well as 1 and 2...

    ReplyDelete